One year ago, I was diagnosed with lupus. As a physical therapist, that changed everything — not just how I trained, but how I understood my body, my limits, and my strength.
☑️Hip & Disease Blog
One year ago, I was diagnosed with lupus.
That sentence still carries weight.
As a physical therapist, I’ve spent my career helping people move through pain, rebuild strength, and trust their bodies again. But when lupus became my reality, I had to live every lesson I had ever given to someone else.
And I’ll be honest: it was not easy.
My body changed. My energy changed. My training changed. My identity changed.
Learning to train differently 💪
Before lupus, I thought progress meant doing more.
More weight. More intensity. More discipline. More pushing.
But lupus forced me to learn a different kind of strength.
Now, I focus on:
✅listening to my body instead of fighting it
✅respecting flare-ups instead of pretending they aren’t there
✅choosing movement that supports my joints
✅building consistency instead of chasing perfection
That shift humbled me. It also changed me.
Because real progress isn’t always dramatic. Sometimes it looks like getting through the day. Sometimes it looks like adjusting instead of quitting. Sometimes it looks like starting over with a body that no longer plays by the old rules.
The lesson lupus taught me about training 🫶
Respect the Daily Tissue Baseline
Some mornings, your joints will communicate severe stiffness. Some days, your body simply does not have the same capacity it had yesterday.
That is not failure — that is information.
True longevity means adjusting your workout volume to match your active energy levels instead of forcing your way through pain. Pushing through everything may feel productive in the moment, but it can cost you more later.
Expose Joints to Low-Load Hydrotherapy 🌊
Swimming became a powerful milestone for me.
The natural buoyancy of water relieves gravity's pull on your hips and spine, making it an exceptional environment for inflamed joints. At the same time, the fluid resistance helps improve circulation, movement quality, and joint tracking without the same structural wear that heavier training can create.
For me, that was huge. It gave me a way to move without feeling like I was fighting my body.
Focus on Three-Dimensional Resilience 🔄
Lupus taught me that strong movement is not just about one plane, one lift, or one perfect workout.
Autoimmune challenges require moving your body through all planes of motion, so your connective tissues stay mobile and systemic tightness doesn’t start locking everything down.
That means building resilience from the ground up — not just chasing output, but protecting the way your body functions over time.
What helped me most
A few things made a huge difference in how I kept moving and believing in myself.
1. Respecting my baseline
Some days my joints feel stiff before I even start. Some days my body asks for more patience than I want to give it.
I used to see that as a setback.
Now I see it as information.
2. Choosing low-impact movement
Swimming became a powerful milestone for me.
The water lets me move without feeling like I’m fighting my own joints. It gives me a sense of freedom, strength, and relief that I don’t take for granted.
3. Focusing on mobility and control
I stopped chasing performance for the sake of performance.
Instead, I started paying attention to movement quality, joint control, and tissue tolerance. That has helped me feel stronger in a way that actually lasts.
FAQ 🤔❓Living with Lupus: How I Learned to Train, Heal, and Adapt
Q: Can you exercise safely if you have been diagnosed with an inflammatory condition like lupus?
A: Yes. Under the guidance of a skilled clinician, low-load strength training and non-impact movements like swimming can actively reduce systemic fatigue, protect joint cartilage, and lower stress triggers.
Q: How do you overcome a major physical plateau after a medical procedure?
A: You must lower neurological threat by prioritizing deep diaphragmatic breathing, shifting toward low-load mobility flows, and celebrating small daily consistency goals rather than competitive metrics.
Watch the video to see the journey 🎥
Related Reading & Next Steps 🔗
Overcoming a significant health challenge requires addressing your body's structural tracking from the ground up. To see how foundational alignment shields your upper legs and lower spine during training, read our clinical guide on Stop Stretching Tight Hip Flexors: Try This Strength-Length Mobility Routine.
If you are currently navigating a highly complex, slow-moving physical recovery and want an empathetic, clinician-backed roadmap to reclaim your strength, stop guessing. Book a complimentary 15-min physio consult with me today to build your custom movement plan.
Related reading 📚
Lupus Pain Is Real, and PT Can Help🤔❓Not Sure Physio Is Right For You? 📞🖂Speak to a physiotherapist first or DM me.
Stay mobile,
Toni
tonithephysio™
Total Mobility. Total Balance. Zero Pain
Mend & Move | Pain-Free Movement Team
Total Mobility. Total Balance. Zero Pain
Mend & Move | Pain-Free Movement Team
________________________
☑️Visit Mend & Move Blog ☑️Hip & Disease Blog
🗣️📢Medical Disclaimer: This information is for general knowledge and is not medical advice. Complete the free 2-minute joint assessment before starting any new exercise routine.
_________________________
📲Follow me on Social Media:
IG: @tonitonezz_
TikTok: @tonidunn10
LinkedIn: toni-dunn-3682997b/
Facebook: Toni-the-Physio
Link In Bio: tonithephysio.org
Know someone struggling with back stiffness? Please forward this email to them! If you were forwarded this message, you can subscribe to the official newsletter at tonithephysio™ or Contact Us
#ResilienceAndGrowth #HealthAndWellness #PersonalReflection #TransformationJourney

Comments
Post a Comment
We would love to hear from you! Please share your thoughts or questions about movement and recovery below. While we can’t provide specific medical advice here, we welcome a healthy discussion. Let’s get moving together!
Medical Disclaimer: This information is for general knowledge and is not medical advice. Consult with a healthcare provider or physical therapist before starting any new exercise routine.